Got to Keep Moving? The Best Portable Electric Grills
ou’re always on-the-go. Your life is busy, you like to keep moving, and you can’t see yourself slowing down for something as simple, not to mention the routine, like dinner. But you love grilling—and who doesn’t? Grilling up some juicy steaks and burgers, tasty veggies and sides, and spending time with friends and family, well, it’s what summer’s all about, isn’t it? But you thought, “Hmm, wouldn’t it be nice if I could grill in winter, too? Or any time of the year, for that matter?”
So here you are—searching for information on the best portable electric grills available. Portable grills provide the convenience busy people are looking for, and electric grills provide the ease their active schedules require. It makes sense to combine them, especially since there are so many more benefits to these two concepts. That’s why we’ve put together this valuable information on the best portable electric grills out there today.
What are the Benefits of Owning a Portable Electric Grill?
Boy, cave people would have loved these things, huh? Can you imagine how much easier their tough lives would have been if they’d had a portable electric grill? And talk about a busy, on-the-go life! Thank goodness you and I don’t have to go through what the poor caveman did just to get a tasty dinner on the table. Here are some of the ways a portable electric grill will help you around the house.
Portable electric grills really are amazing gadgets. First, they’re great timesavers. You pretty much just plug it in, and you’re ready to start grilling! You can’t get that kind of convenience and ease with any other grill.
Use it Anytime, Anywhere
Portable grills fit just about anywhere. You don’t need a huge space dedicated just to your grill. Plus, you can use a portable electric grill any time of the year. You don’t have to wait for summer because you can use it indoors as well as outdoors. These babies are compact so they fit just about anywhere. And their amazing portability allows you to transport them anywhere—to camp, to a picnic grounds that provide electrical outlets, even to the office!
Grilled food just plain tastes better. Compare the flavor of grilled burgers, steaks, seafood, veggies, etc., to any other cooking method, and the grilled items come out on top every time. Grilling seers in juices without sacrificing flavor. But that doesn’t explain why it tastes better. Perhaps science can explain it. It’s called the ‘Maillard Reaction,’ and it’s key to understanding why grilled meats are so delicious. This is a scientific term used when reducing sugars (agents that change a food’s taste) react with amino acids. It’s what occurs when foods caramelize into a dark brown and that rich, moist flavor comes out.
But it isn’t just the taste of grilled foods that’s better; it’s their sumptuous aroma. Many sensory scientists say most, if not all, of taste, is in smelling it. And we all know that the aroma of grilled foods is heavenly! Combine grilling’s Maillard Reaction—that dark brown richness—with its aromatic bliss, and you’ve got abject taste nirvana!
No Harmful Fumes
Unlike many other types of grills, electric grills allow you to breathe in clean, smoke-free air. This means you can use them both outdoors and indoors, and it’s the main reason you can grill all-year-round with electric grills.
Other types of grills can be super expensive, but an electric grill allows you to grill any time of the year without the added expense of propane tanks, charcoal, etc. Add to that the cost savings of a portable grill vs. the giant, expensive kind, and you’ve got one cost-effective and super-convenient appliance!
Easy to Clean
Most portable electric grills are super easy to clean. In fact, many of these convenient appliances come apart so you can place the cooking surface right in your dishwasher. It doesn’t get any easier than that!
One of the most notable advantages of a portable electric grill over all other types of grills is that they’re just plain safer. As mentioned above, with a portable electric grill you, your family, and your guests are not breathing in dangerous fumes. Additionally, the risk of fire is far less than that of other grills that create smoke and sparks.
Review of the Best Portable Electric Grills
Here we’re reviewing our list of what we consider to be the top five portable electric grills in the industry today. All of those on our list are top-rated, super user-friendly cooking appliances that will grill up spectacular meats, cheeses, seafood, sandwiches, and more.
Is there anyone who doesn’t know the brand name ‘Hamilton Beach’? No one who doesn’t live under a rock, anyway. From the trusted company that’s been around for well over a century comes this easy-to-clean, dishwasher-safe electric indoor grill that has a nonstick removable cook plate with a surface large enough to simultaneously cook burgers, veggies, and more. The extra-large drip tray catches dripping fat so there’s less mess. The temperature controls allow you to cook with or without searing foods. Plus, the power and easy-to-read preheat lights make cooking simple and fun. And this one has a nice price that will fit into most budgets.
What consumers are saying:
- Cooking surface big enough to cook for family and friends
- Requires minimal prep
- Steaks cooked on this grill taste the same as steaks cooked on an outdoor grill
- Nice to cook without worrying about weather conditions
- Can find no fault in this grill
- Perfect size
- Cleanup couldn’t be easier
- Lid design very well-thought-out
- Clips that hold are too sharp
- Excellent stainless steel construction
- Trusted Hamilton Beach name
- Sturdy and durable
- Easy to clean
- Temperature indicators very helpful while cooking
- Great price that fits most budgets
- Clips for window are extremely sharp
- Can cause smoke if the lid is left open
Cuisinart is another well-known name in the industry. They’ve been around for nearly half a century, and today we’re pleased to review this convenient electric griddler. The company redesigned it to give it a more sleek and contemporary style without sacrificing its previously acclaimed cooking efficiency. The user-friendly LCD display is super beneficial on this grill because it displays temps, timer, and sear function. The cooking surface works well as a contact grill, a full grill or griddle, half grill or griddle, and even as a Panini press! Plus, it’s got reversible, removable, dishwasher-safe nonstick cooking plates that are both easy to work with and easy to store.
What consumers are saying:
- Great non-toxic cooking surface
- Works well for bacon, chops, steak sandwiches, and even waffles
- New York steaks came out wonderful
- Can’t say enough great compliments about this griddle
- The cord gets extremely hot
- Takes a long time to heat to the desired temperature
- The chicken comes out perfect
- User-friendly digital controls
- Well-built, sturdy construction
- Can be used as a grill and a griddle
- Excellent for grilling poultry
Trusted Cuisinart name
- Better-than-average price fits into many budgets
- A few users report it takes a long time to heat to proper cooking temperature
- The cord gets very hot
Iconic American boxer George Foreman achieved greatness in the boxing arena, and for the past quarter of a century, he’s achieved additional fame, as well as praise, for his innovative grills. In fact, his 5-serving electric grill and Panini press is about as high-performing as he is! Its giant 72-square-inch grilling surface is big enough to feed the whole family, and Foreman reports it does it in ‘record time’ because you can make up to five servings at once. The removable plates are super easy to clean since they go right into the dishwasher. Plus, the famous fat-removing slope design synonymous with Foreman grills allows more than 40% of the fat to drip down, making your foods leaner and healthier. Finally, this wonderful grill comes with a price-tag that’s tough to beat, considering its cooking capacity.
What consumers are saying:
- Makes a great Panini
- Excellent for cooking the juiciest chicken, steaks, and burgers
- Super easy to clean
- Heats well
- Grills cheese superbly
- Food comes out perfect
- Grill plates wear down quickly
- Works well with all types of bread
- Well-constructed and sturdy
- George Foreman name synonymous with well-made grills
- Very easy to clean
- Great for grilling cheese
- Meat and poultry grill to perfection
- Foods are healthier due to sloping design that catches excess fat
- An excellent price that fits into nearly all budgets
- A few users report the grill plates wear down too quickly
- Some consumers report it’s not great at browning
Another comeback, George? Nope, just another great George Foreman grill on our list of top-rated portable electric grills. And, with its ability to grill up 15 servings at a time, the grilling capacity of this one is a knockout! This grill has, no kidding, a 240-square-inch circular grilling surface that allows you to cook up enough food for the whole neighborhood. It’s made of high-quality materials that have George’s famous tough non-stick coating. It’s durable and super easy to clean. It has easy-to-use temp controls. And, of course, it has Mr. Foreman’s patented sleek, sloping design that drains excess fat your meat doesn’t need to grill it up super healthy every time.
What consumers are saying:
- Plenty of room for a rack of ribs
- Right height
- Works great for steaks, pork, veggies, and seafood
- Perfect heating
- Amazing grill for apartment living
- Excellent for camping
- Cooks steaks perfectly
- Awkward to clean
- Huge grilling surface
- Well-made, sturdy, and durable
- Trusted George Foreman name
- Cooks steaks and burgers to perfection
- Nice height for most users
- The better-than-average price fits into most budgets
- Not as easy to clean as some others on our list
- A few consumers report the lid doesn’t feel sturdy enough
Rounding out our list of top-rated, well-built, amazing portable electric grills is a fine specimen from T-fal, a company that’s been around for more than 60 years. Known for its non-stick cookware made of Teflon and aluminum (hence the name T-fal), the company offers ‘Opti-Grill’—its super-powerful 1800-watt electric indoor grill. This spectacular appliance provides nine automatic cooking programs, including poultry, burger, sausage, sandwich, red meat, shellfish, and more. It has ‘automatic sensor cooking’ technology, which means it can detect how many foods you’ve got grilling on it at any given time. The built-in indicator system aids in more precision grilling. The ergonomic control panel helps to make cooking comfortable. It’s got dishwasher-safe plates and drip tray for easy cleaning. And you even can cook in ‘frozen mode’ to take frozen foods from the freezer to your plate in no time. The price on this one is considerably higher than the others on our list.
What consumer are saying:
- No splatter ever
- Minimal smoking
- Makes perfectly cooked thick rib-eyes
- Positively no mess
- Cooks exquisitely juicy chicken and burgers
- Makes great Paninis
- Stopped working after one year
- Indicator light makes cooking a no-brainer
- Highly recommend this fantastic griller
- Cooks meats to perfection
- Huge cooking surface
- Trusted T-fal name
- No mess
- Indicator light and beep system makes cooking easy and convenient
- A built-in automatic sensor helps to keep foods from burning
- Easy to grill frozen foods
- Higher price not friendly to many budgets
- A few users report this grill stopped heating after a year
This was undoubtedly a tough choice since all of the portable electric grills on our list are top-rated and cook up exquisitely delicious and sumptuous foods. We chose this George Foreman for its:
Large cooking surface
Ability to grill up
spectacular Paninis along with all those amazing meats, cheeses, seafood, and veggies
Foreman patented sloping design that cooks up delicious foods that are healthier because they contain less fat
- Compact portability that’s better than most
- An excellent little price that can fit into just about any consumer’s grill-seeking budget
Time to get moving … go grill!